Over the past few years I have read many articles on the benefits of collagen in supporting joint health. As a specialist in movement, this research intrigues me because I am willing to take a supplement if it supports improvements in my body maintenance and recovery. For a full review of what collagen is, review this post Collagen Supplements, Worthwhile or Wasteful? I am not interested in wasting money or putting expensive, worthless products into my body, especially if there are potential side effects.
After much research, I have been using Sports Research Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides every day for the last 18 months. The recommended dose is 10 grams, or one scoop once day. Hydrolyzed simply means the amino acid chains have been broken down into smaller units, a process that allows it to dissolve in both hot and cold liquids.
What I have noticed for me specifically is:
- My nails are much thicker and grow out more quickly.
- My hair appears shinier and fuller.
- My recovery from my CrossFit workouts seems to occur quicker and with less joint achiness.
- I have not noticed a difference in my skin that is readily apparent, but I did not take before and after photos to check my wrinkles.
- It is an easy way to add 10 grams of proteins to my macro count if I am low on protein at the end of the day.
Pro’s of Sports Research Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides
- Easily mixes with water or in a smoothie with no taste. When I put 2 scoops in 6 oz of water I did notice a slight discoloration of the water and some taste.
- Easily mixes in warm and hot products, but a little slower to dissolve in cold water.
- High quality products: Paleo friendly, Keto Certified, Gluten Free, IGEN Certified, Grass Fed Pasture Raised Beef and manufactured in a Good Manufacturing Practice – GMP Certified Facility.
- This product contains Type I and Type III collagen.
- With improved bioavailability, your body can easily absorb all of the nutrients in this type collagen, other collagens are not absorbed as easily.
- It is ranked #11 in sales in Amazon’s Health products.
Con’s of Sports Research Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides
- Collagen peptides should not be taken in higher doses than the recommended 10 grams a day because it is not a complete protein. Whey protein supplements used for muscle gain and fat loss are usually complete proteins.
- Studies show the benefit of the Collagen occurs after 30 -60 days of consistent daily usage. So to see the benefit you must commit to regular usage.
- This product does not contain Type II Collagen, the type of cartilage scientifically validated to reduce the body’s autoimmunity, resulting in less inflammation in osteoarthritis along with increases in joint range of motion.
I have seen and felt improvements, while not miraculous, I do feel better and I directly attribute that to this product. The new research is promising on the benefits of collagen supplements, and I plan to continue to use this product. If you are interested in purchasing this product, click here.
Full disclosure: When this current container is empty, I do plan to evaluate a new brand of collagen for 2 reasons:
- I want to try a product with Type II collagen.
- I like to rotate off supplements every once in awhile so my body has a chance to purge and renew itself. I will let you know how the new product goes in 6 months.
In the meantime, remember when you move better, you feel better.
*This page contains referral links to help support the website.