Better is an improvement over status quo.
Better increases value and performance while defeating complacency.
Better moves us forward, and makes us feel happier and healthier.
The ultimate strategy for succeeding in life and health is to get better.
Better always beats best, because best is a static point. But the top point is never permanent because better is aiming for continual improvement to overthrow best.
Everyone wants to be better, but sometimes we need a compelling motivator to change our behavior and to help us take action. So how do we take action to start moving and feeling better?
- Identify what your goal is and break it into Actionable Steps.
Goal: To decrease my lower back pain over the next 3 months through diet and exercise.
- Reduce sugar and processed foods from my diet.
- Eat at least 2 servings of vegetables every day.
- Drink 8 eight oz glasses of water daily.
- Educate myself by reviewing the Four Back Exercises in 4 Minutes.
- Strengthen my core.
- Stand up straight and pull my shoulders back.
- Don’t sit for longer than 50 minutes without getting up to move and stretch.
- Take a daily collagen supplement.
- Add one action step into your daily routine.
Make it something easy to complete.
Example: I will do the Four Back Exercises in 4 Minutes exercises every morning after brushing my teeth and before I get dressed.
Once you establish a routine, it becomes a habit after 21 days. (Review Did Your 2018 Fitness Goals End Already?). After 3 weeks, add in the core exercises 3 times a week.
- After you start the action steps, look for the benefits you are deriving.
Seeing a benefit such as squatting below parallel or feeling less pain during movement is a motivator to continue the pursuit to move better. Continue to add in additional actionable steps as motivation increases and you see and feel progress.
Before long you will see improvements and start to feel better. Keep focusing on getting better. Engage others, educate yourself through blogs or get a coach to help provide accountability and correct technique.
Don’t waste your potential. Invest the time and energy in improving yourself. No one else can do this for you.
The better you move and feel, the better you will be able to pursue your dreams and desires, and contribute to others in meaningful ways.